No Power before 3k rmp

I have just acquired a 1986 16v (1.8l I think). The engine has no power
before 3,000 rpm. This however dose not render the car undriveable. The car
just seems to really lag and sputter until it gets to 3,000 then it takes
off and runs just fine. There is also a problem when the throttle is
"punched", the engine will not respond at all, it will hover in the 500  to
1000 rpm, even after the throttle is released, the engine will not recover
and it has to be restarted. The engine also has an idle problem, it almost
dies, but recovers. It recovers better when the rpm drop from 4-5K to 1k
(such as when the clutch is engaged while coming to a stop). But when the
rpm go from 2-3k to 1k to engine will not recover, but can be restarted
with out a problem.

	My first thoughts tend to lead me to believe that there is a vacuum leek
somewhere, but where? And how do I go about finding it? If that is it. Or
can this be caused by something else?

McKinley H. Tabor