Re: [tech] help-building a 2.1L 16v

Ryan sez:

>I figure this is going to be my show car route, as I just think the
>16v makes for a nicer looking engine. The only thing is..i want
>300hp at the minimum.  I've shopped and called around and come
>to a 'battle plan' so to speak.

Wouldn't a VR6 get you to 300hp easier?  Plus, if it's gonna be a show car,
the VR6 would look pretty impressive under the hood.

Although I haven't been following the whole story, Sport Compact Car has
been carrying a multipart article on getting an MR2 to develop 400hp and I
think they have 2.0L motors.  The upshot is, it looks like a lot of work by
a lot of talented folks (and I'd imagine hatchbackfuls of greenbacks) are
required.  It's not just a matter of bolting on a turbo and turning up the
boost.  Anyway, if you can get over your distaste of non-German iron, those
SCC articles might give you an idea of what kind of travails you are in for.

Speaking of turbo motors, why does the 20V 1.8L turbo in the new Passat
only put out 150hp, supposedly with a lot of lag?  I mean, with 20 valves
shouldn't the motor be putting out 150hp with normal aspiration?  Two liter
Eclipse turbo  motors with 4 less valves put out 210hp.  Just wondering
what VW/Audi's  rationale for the engine was.  I hope a 200hp version is
waiting in the shadows.

b--------