High Idle

Here's an unusual problem I've been having on my 88 Scirocco.  When I have
the fan off (position 0), my idle is fine at just under 1000 rpm.  When I
turn on the fan to ANY setting, the idle kicks up to about 2000 rpm.  It
only does this when the fan is on!  Since my engine braking is reduced with
the high idle and it makes shifting more of a pain, it becomes a real
bother putting around town.  If I ever want the engine to return to 1000
rpm, all I have to do is click the fan off.  Anyone ever heard of this?
Where should I start in diagnosing this one?  Any and all suggestions are
encouraged.  I really want to get this one fixed before it starts snowing
and I need the defroster on all the time.  Thanks in advance.  Oh, yeah.  I
swear that just as it's about to jump in idle up to 2000 rpm I can hear an
audible clicking noise.  Maybe this will help.

Steve