Re: [tech] help-building a 2.1L 16v

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> I figure this is going to be my show car route, as I just think the
> 16v makes for a nicer looking engine. The only thing is..i want
> 300hp at the minimum.  I've shopped and called around and come
> to a 'battle plan' so to speak.
>
> either I can buy a tuned 2.1L for (pick your tuner) or assemble
> the parts and have it machined locally. Now, this is where I get
> confused..it seems to me, buying a crank, pistons, seals, bearings
> and other misc parts, buying a 2.0L short block, having it and my1.8L
> head machined, and assembled looks to run a little cheaper than buying
> a tuners...am I wrong??

Since I have not shopped around for 2.0-2.1 "yet" I can't
tell ya, but my guess is that the tuners engines should
cost less??

> Also, can I keep my Jetronic fuel system? or will I want/have to
> upgrade to a different feul system?..Motronic?EFI?..I'm no whiz when
> it comes to the feul system.

No,  I am pretty sure the CIS-E is only good to about 150hp,
You would have to do a motronic conversion (then you can
chip it).

> now out of the engine I can say..get around 200hp?..any way anyone
> knows where i can get more? Yeah a turbo but no way a turbo is going
> to be good for +100 ponies eh?

Drop the compression and give it 10-15 lbs,  you should get up
to about 250-275 (maybe more),  Then if you REALLY want 300hp
give it a dose of NOS, that will get you up to 300 easy.

> oh yeah one final thing..I know the passat and gti 2.0L have the
> intake on the passenger side..but I can just use a scirocco manifold
> right? it'll bolt up eh?

The manifolds are a direct swap,  There may be diffs in the vacuume
lines thought,  If your going to do the turbo you want the one
with the intake in the passenger side,  to make plumbing easy
(exit the turbo out the right side, go into the intercooler
setup in the front, exit it to the left, and then up to the
intake on the pass side)

> ugg this is frustrating not having any tuners local than I can hang
> around and badger for this info that i so desperately want to
> understand.
>
> Ryan

HTH!
Etrik