Re: [tech] help-building a 2.1L 16v

Benton Yoshida wrote:

> Ryan sez:
>
> >I figure this is going to be my show car route, as I just think the

<snip>

> Wouldn't a VR6 get you to 300hp easier?  Plus, if it's gonna be a show car,
> the VR6 would look pretty impressive under the hood.

I would be way easyer and less expensive to put a 16v turbo in,
and the car would be nose heavy BIG TIME.  Not that it hasn't
been done, but IMHO it ain't worth it.

> Although I haven't been following the whole story, Sport Compact Car has
> been carrying a multipart article on getting an MR2 to develop 400hp and I
> think they have 2.0L motors.  The upshot is, it looks like a lot of work by
> a lot of talented folks (and I'd imagine hatchbackfuls of greenbacks) are
> required.  It's not just a matter of bolting on a turbo and turning up the
> boost.  Anyway, if you can get over your distaste of non-German iron, those
> SCC articles might give you an idea of what kind of travails you are in for.

I have paged through SCC and Turbo,  the stuff they do is just plain
amazing (600hp out of a 1.6!?!!?, Honda non-the-less).  But my guess
is that these type of engines won't last a month (or even a week) of
hard driving.

> Speaking of turbo motors, why does the 20V 1.8L turbo in the new Passat
> only put out 150hp, supposedly with a lot of lag?  I mean, with 20 valves
> shouldn't the motor be putting out 150hp with normal aspiration?  Two liter
> Eclipse turbo  motors with 4 less valves put out 210hp.  Just wondering
> what VW/Audi's  rationale for the engine was.  I hope a 200hp version is
> waiting in the shadows.

I have heard that the 20v has NO lag and is very smooth for a turbo
car.  A dealer friend recently went to one of those "test drives"
for the dealers, basically they had four of four differn't cars and
they beat them up, The cars were a Toyota camery, Passat 20v,
Ford contour and Mercedes (can't remember which one).  He said the
camery was total sh*t, it was trash after they done with it,
and it was slow as hell to boot, the contur was okay, the merc
and the VW were on the top.  They did all kinds of stuff to
these cars, braking, accel, laps around a closed circut (wish I
coulda been there :).  150hp?  I thought it was more 170-180??

Later
Etrik