Re: Which will provide more power?

> the most cost effective way to get more HP if you are currently "bone stock"
> is a complete exhaust like from Techtonics  (used them for years ...good
> stuff for the money)   this , accompanied with a K&N filter will yield around
> 8-10 HP .
>      Next you could get a chip from a "reputable tuner" to enrich the fuel at
> high rpm   with this you might see 2-5 HP at like 6500 rpm   don't expect
> much.

what about the power modules that increase fuel mixture at
fullthrottle..should one install this and a chip? or one or the
other? I have an autotech power mudule and it's giving me 10+ hp.
proven on the dyno.

>      if you really want to get it on   order a 2.0L piston kit from
> Techtonics and take your block to a good machine shop with the instructions
> Techtonics provides and have them install it     this is the most bang for
> the buck    I think it's around 1200.00 for the kit  minus the machine work

yeah i was thinking of this..but can't you also just get a 2.0L
bottom end and install that,as the 1.8 head is one the best flowing
heads out there..I've always been told to stick with the 1.8head as
it's better than the 2.0L head. or are pistons and the head seperate?

>     Camshafts are pricey for these cars   between 1000.00 and 1600.00 just
> for the intake    you'll not see a huge difference   like maybe 6-8 HP   not
> much for all the $$$  huh?

yeah schrick or eventhe neuspeed 260 is expensive...my friend has a
neuspeed 272..man is it MEAN..can't idle for shit barely though
thats pricey for one cam..who sells thamthat expensive?
 i've also heard that all you need to do is replace the
intake cam,as the exhaust is already perfect..i've even heard rumors
of using an exhaust cam for the intake? as the exhaust is supposidly
the eurospec.

>     And just don't even bother with the "Euro" intake manifold   your engine
> is a "Breather"  and unless you plan on cruising at 120+ mph on the
> interstate you'll never even know you put it on your car     this is why it
> was'nt introduced in the US   NO NEED !!    it's good for about 4-8 HP  at

hrm..then how can you justify the hp on a eurospec 1.8L, they have
like +12 hp more stock than we do. those euro intakes are HUGE
and really add to the airflow, I know someone with 2 scirocco both
2.1L and they said the euro intakes helped tremendously (along with
a port matched t-body).

> high rpm    are you picking up on the "high rpm" quotes ??   when you go to
> buy something  try and find out at what rpm this increase in HP takes place
>   and then think of how you drive   most of us don't like to rev too high

I like to almost redline about 20 times a day...it's where all the power
is..all the way up to 4000-6400rpm range

>     but if you consistantly rev to 6000 +  then get all that extra stuff for
> your car     I always try to spend my $$$ where it counts   I like to sport
> around town smoking those Japanese econo boxes   Ocassionally I'll touch
> 120mph   but not often   I don't want to go to jail

I touch 120 on a daily basis. I just do it where i can see ahead and
all around = no cops. I have a 100 mile commute( to and from work),
i don't like wasting my billable time driving at 25cents a mile.

>      two more tips for the 16V dude.......always use the highest octane gas
>   this allows your "Knock Sensor" ignition to advance itself more   giving
> you more torque and HP      finally....  one thing my friend and I found on
> both of our cars is that if you keep your cylinder head as cool as possible
> your ignition advances even more .

hrm ok cool, no pun intended..i run temps around 150-170 oil. I'll
try to get it lower then .....

> more than 95 deg cel    check yours out    recover the hidden power dude
>       write me back if you need more help    I frickin' love to talk about
> VW's   !!!!    Later

cool thanks for the tips...

I really am getting frustrated w/ my 135 hp and getting beatten by all
these v6 and v8s that are out there now. Now..I love my car, and i
KNOW no car built in 1987 could touch my Scirocco..but I'd like to
stay competitive..and be able to whip my arm out the window, raising
4 fingers, and laughing my ass off telling him that he just got
smoked by someone w/ a 4-banger!! Of course I also need tocompensate
for the 300lbs of stereo equipment in my car =[..though tomorrow i'm
cleaning out the engine bay..i should loose 5-10 lbs of road crap and
caked oil for sure!

Ryan
'87 16v Scirocco
'86 8v Scirocco rieger GTO/Competition