Re: Which will provide more power?

   I am from Va....  I've had VW's since H.S. and have modified every one of
them and love it !      My buddy's got a 91 16V Jetta that I've been
consulting on    I think I've finally converted him to at least driving a
German auto from now on

    For a 16V engine you're lookin' at quite a bit more money to do upgrades.
this motor is a little more technically involved for the VW factory to build
and for aftermarket tuners to design high performance parts for too .
    The 16V breathes very well bone stock   after all it's got twice as many
valves as the older engines    so upgrading the intake for most people stops
at a K&N air filter.
the most cost effective way to get more HP if you are currently "bone stock"
is a complete exhaust like from Techtonics  (used them for years ...good
stuff for the money)   this , accompanied with a K&N filter will yield around
8-10 HP .
     Next you could get a chip from a "reputable tuner" to enrich the fuel at
high rpm   with this you might see 2-5 HP at like 6500 rpm   don't expect
much.
     if you really want to get it on   order a 2.0L piston kit from
Techtonics and take your block to a good machine shop with the instructions
Techtonics provides and have them install it     this is the most bang for
the buck    I think it's around 1200.00 for the kit  minus the machine work
  my machine shop did my 8V block (basically the same as a 16V block)  for
625.00      this jump in displacement is very much welcomed by your 16 valves
!   really jumps you in HP
    Camshafts are pricey for these cars   between 1000.00 and 1600.00 just
for the intake    you'll not see a huge difference   like maybe 6-8 HP   not
much for all the $$$  huh?
    And just don't even bother with the "Euro" intake manifold   your engine
is a "Breather"  and unless you plan on cruising at 120+ mph on the
interstate you'll never even know you put it on your car     this is why it
was'nt introduced in the US   NO NEED !!    it's good for about 4-8 HP  at
high rpm    are you picking up on the "high rpm" quotes ??   when you go to
buy something  try and find out at what rpm this increase in HP takes place
  and then think of how you drive   most of us don't like to rev too high
    but if you consistantly rev to 6000 +  then get all that extra stuff for
your car     I always try to spend my $$$ where it counts   I like to sport
around town smoking those Japanese econo boxes   Ocassionally I'll touch
120mph   but not often   I don't want to go to jail
     two more tips for the 16V dude.......always use the highest octane gas
  this allows your "Knock Sensor" ignition to advance itself more   giving
you more torque and HP      finally....  one thing my friend and I found on
both of our cars is that if you keep your cylinder head as cool as possible
your ignition advances even more .
The way to most effectively do this is with a good oil cooler. the hotter the
head gets the quicker the spark plugs pre-ignite    sounds simple huh ?  it
is...and it works like a dream    my seat of the pants told me I picked up
5-6 HP lost due to the cooling effect of my oil cooler      I used to live in
Germany while in the Army and I can tell you   thier climate is much milder
than in the states   so oil coolers are'nt needed as badly      16V's seem to
get really hot too for some reason
    I got a really good oil cooler from the JC Whitney cataloge   I was
impressed with it very much    it was only 46.00 and I think 25.00 for the
install kit with thermostat adapter   the only thing it does'nt have is the
pretty shiney braided stainless hoses .....mine has plain rubber hoses
    but it's dropped my oil temps from an average of 125 deg cel  to never
more than 95 deg cel    check yours out    recover the hidden power dude
      write me back if you need more help    I frickin' love to talk about
VW's   !!!!    Later