Re: Which will provide more power?

<< scirocco-l@privateI.com >>
  If your stock downpipe is a dual  and not the single with the funky spring
clips holding it on    then I would get a G-grind cam good for probably an
additional 8-10 HP the way it's setup now   if you have the dreaded single
downpipe and 4 into 1 exhaust manifold  then I would get the Techtonics
downpipe    but remember....you'll need an early dual exhaust manifold to be
able to use the Techtonics downpipe
    The Techtonics downpipe does'nt give a huge HP increase over a stock dual
downpipe   maybe one or two HP    hotter ignitions only yeild a few HP    the
last thing I would get for my car would be an aftermarket ignition    the
Bosche ignition is a superb ignition when maintained properly   ie : clean
terminals good wires and solid connections overall        the best time for
an aftermarket ignition is when you've done EVERYTHING  else and are wanting
to get the last bit of HP you can
     if it were me in your shoes I'd go cam or twin downpipe first then I'd
have my head milled down so that I was running 9.5-1  compression    (this
limits you to high octane gas)    you can probably get this done for around
100.00 at a reputable machine shop    you'll need to take the head of and
bring it to them though    but you'll pick up around 10-12 HP on top of
everything else  and it'll be accross the rpm range    besides ....most of
the German versions run 10-1 compression !   ( they have much higher octane
over there though)     also   make sure you have the 80mm plenum sitting
above your air filter too !!    your intake is only as free flowing as the
smallest opening in the system !!    BTW  I've done ALL these mods many times
on many VWs    I like to feel that I know what works and what does'nt
   e-mail me if you wanna talk more     Dave