Re: 300HP 2.0l 16Vs?

Hey guys,

>>theyre designed 'safe'. Funny cars which are fast as crap, correct
>>me if I'm wrong, are normally aspirated engines. [granted theyre
>>overbored V-8's].

Actually they have superchargers/blowers and are in the range of 498-500
cubic inch V-8's and yes they do run on Nitromethane. As for safe, well not
too many drivers die because of them. However, last weekend while
photographing the Sears Craftsman Nationals here in topeka,ks, I had funny
car driver Jim Blake's engine blow up just after he passed me (at about the
150ft mark of the 1/4 mile track. As for horsepower their engines produce
an estimated 6000, yes that's three zero's, horsepower. Unfortunately, they
don't have a dyno to measure the engines so they rely on computers to
figure out the estimated HP. Just to give you an idea. The top speeds seen
last weeks races hit 317 mph in Top Fuel and 313 mph in Funny Car, with
ET's in the 4.6's and 4.9's respectively.

You can't believe the rush when to of these cars go by you, the heat, the
noise, the smell of the nitro that burns your eyes, nose and throat.
Imagine standing on an airport runway with jets taking off buy you,
actually on second thought, I've been to an airshow with an Navy Blue
Angels f-18's flyover...it's louder, especially when you're less than 5
feet away from the action.

Well, gotta run, it's off to Miami (Chiefs v. Dolphins) for some NFL
football this weekend, should be sporting the Scirocco T-shirt at the game
if you happen to see it.

later,

Shaun Sartin
Staff Photographer
The Topeka Capital-Journal

"Life is not about getting what you want, but wanting it after you get it."