Tranny adjustment

   Is anyone fluent in adjusting a manual 5-sp   the Bently manual is a
little hazy on explaining this procedure   it looks as though I need to get
under the car without jacking it in anyway   (maybe use a lift)  and those
pictures in the Bentley Manual are so bad I can't really tell what to line up
with what     I have a major problem getting it into 1st and 2nd    but when
I don't move the stick all the way over towards me   just a hair away from
all the way over    and slide it into 1st or 2nd it seems to work fine
    does this sound like I need to adjust the side to side play?  so I'm able
to pull the stick all the way over to me and then up or down into 1st or 2nd
?    I think my problem started when I made a homemade short shifter and I
did'nt drill the hole in the extended peice directly in the center     please
help