RE: Apologies.....

At 11:45 PM -0600 11/25/97, Shannon Fenton wrote:
>Ian
>while I realize that what you have is a valid complaint for which I
>apologize I think you you could have gone about expressing it in a much less
>asshole-like way.

YES!  I was so disappointed that no one flamed me.  Thanks!

>>That's great, Shannon.  My bitch of the hour is this - _WHY_ do so many
>of you...

>"you"  Is referring to all of "us" right?

No, "so many," or "some," IE, "not all but a portion" if I remember correctly.

>National League of Idiots whose
>sole purpose is to piss you off as you would have it seem.

Heh, I did'nt know there was a League of idiots whose responsibility it was
to irritate me - I just thought it was me overreacting to everything and
being generally oversensitive.  Glad there's someone to blame....

 clever types will now start replying to messages which have a
>>nondescript subject, like "16v Performance," and delete _everything_,
>>except their message, as often found in the newsgroup, something
>like....
>>

>>"I did the same thing to my Rocco, too, man.  It worked great."
>>

>>Lata,
>>
>>(insert some dumb netname here, like H20Dude or something)
>>
>>then the email...."my16vkix5.0ass@shitforbrains.com"
>>
>>maybe a url that does'nt
>>work...."http://www.aol.com/members/users/suckers/morons/~16vh20
>>
>>Then the list of cars owned, past, present and nocturnal...
>>
>>87 16v(sometimes with really stupid accessory highlighted here)
>>blah
>>blah
>>blah
>>Getting down to the Bugs....
>>
>>etc.
>

>I think this is totally uncalled for and absolutely ridiculous for you to
>complain about.

What?  I did'nt pick on anyone - this is a hypothetical Captain Clever.

Modifying our cars "sometimes with really stupid
>accessory highlighted" is what makes them our cars. I could really care less

(editor's note - if you "could care less," that means that you care to some
degree, as that means that you are caring _some_, necessary to care _less_.
I think you meant "I could'nt care less," or, "I could not care less."  For
future, less friendly flame reference)

what
>you deem as a "stupid accessory" .

_That's_ why I did not specify what is stupid.  We can all guess what I
think is stupid, but in an effort to be nice, I did not pick on anyone in
particular - I could have mentioned Zender bodykits, something "Euro" or
something "DTM," but I chose not to.  I am fully aware that people have
different ideas of "stupid," and the intent was not to make fun of _you_(I
don't know you well enough for that, but I'll try if you want!  I could
make fun of lotsa people here, like that Meze character, or maybe Ryan, or
Jason....but I don't want to).  We share enough in common that I ignore the
differences in taste, and contribute to discussions which I feel are
interesting & that I can share useful insights.  No, I don't give a damn
about Sciroccos in movies, could'nt care less about Matchbox Sciroccos.  I
don't run around saying "thatsdumbthatsdumb" every time I see something I
think to be a bit odd.....

How about these.

87 16v(with coilovers and caster plates)
87 16v(with tinted windows, a bodykit and DTM tips)
87 16v(restored to showroom condition)
87 16v(with Euro headlights)

I could go on.  Had I included those, I'd have been picking on someone.  If
you, or anyone else, put a "mod" in your .sig, _someone_ is going to think
it stupid.  Is that wrong?  NO.  Is it wrong to tell that person in public
that the car/modification is stupid?  Yes, unless asked.  Annoying, anyhow.

My little mock Usenet posting from H20Dude@aol.com is a joke.  It is
supposed to be funny.  Read rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, you'll see the
humor - that kind of post happens a LOT, and it is almost funny.  Lots of
clowns there.  Now, if you said I was making fun of the newsgroup, then,
well, yeah, I was.  I do make fun of the newsgroup - but I still read it,
and most of the time, I stay quiet - just like here, I don't share the same
enthusiasm for a lot of the postings, but I respect those of you that have
eurobumpers(oh, it is bumPers with a "P," not "bumBers,"  ahh, if I could
remember who spelled it wrong, I'd make fun of him right now....){jokes,
people, bygones, etc....I'd use Eurobumpers if they were legal in DSP for
the weight savings, but they're not....}  Ok, where was I.  Forgot.  Next!

 Come on take a pill and relax if I or
>someone else want to list what cars we own it may save you or them the
>trouble of asking when said person gives you a hand on something and you
>would like to know where their expertise is or what they are referring to.

Uhhh, ok.....no wait, no pills for Iain....umm, yeah, feel free to list
cars...the point is not the .sig, the point is that people delete
_everything_, then reply to something some may have forgotten.  The irony
of the .sig is that he feels it necessary(he being H20Dude@aol.com) to tell
us what kind of cars he's had, but can't include a little quoted text for
context.

>had a question about Beetles and guess who I sent it to and who replied
>those with their bugs listed.

This is good......I send my questions to those who I feel can answer them,
too, whether I get this impression from a .sig or previous postings.

Not to mention I do not see myself as or anyone
>else on this list as a "sucker", "moron","shitforbrains",

Nononono...those are the AOL people....duh!

 or for that
>matter "my16Vkix5.0ass".

Heh, they're here.  Yup, listening to Winger, rocking out, whole nine
yards, cruising the malls, getting in stoplight wars with Rustang 2.8s
sporting 5.0 badges, oh yes, the jokers abound.

(now, re-read that, I was not making fun of you, or YOU, nope, not YOU
either.  Making fun of a stereotype, if this hits too close to home, sorry!
Get a haircut, throw out the Kix and Trixter CDs and take the garter belt
off the rearview - JOKE people.....heh, one of our local competitors
produced a Winger album, I know someone who has met Winger!  Rock on!  Heh
heh heh, Stuart likes Winger...Stuart sucks.....)

(ok, if your name is Stuart, put the letterbomb away, watch Beavis and
Butthead, Stuart wears a Winger t-shirt, trying to be "cool" like B&B with
their AC/DC and Metallica shirts, who in turn are trying to emulate Todd,
the motorhead, because Todd gets chicks.  Todd kicks ass.  Todd has a
garter belt on the rearview mirror....small world).

>>So, Captain Clever
>
>"Thou hast no fury...."

You're right, but I'd prefer a Charger over a Fury(we're still talking
about cars, right?)

>Not all of us do,  and maybe we should talk to Kevin about a welcome
>letter so that when someone new subscribes they have all the etiquette and
>such related topics while welcoming them to the list.

Maybe someone here would like to write one up?  Kevin can approve it, we'll
all be happy (and I'll still be a moron!).  Kevin?  (hey, didja know that
Kevin has Hella "Euro" lights on his car?  Maybe I'm making fun of him,
too.  Oh wait, I've got Euro lights, also.....)

 There for eliminating
>the need for this to come up in the future and stepping on peoples pet
>peeves.

Some chucklehead like me will take care of that, and it has been long ago
proven that no one reads much less keeps those letters.  I have a small
mailing list of my own which deals with local Solo issues - I get constant
mail from people who can't figure out how to get off the list.  Sigh.  Turn
off the internet, dumbass!

>Something is only as good as the sum of its parts and I seem to think
>that all the discussions and posts are of great merit to all those reading
>them, if you're not interested don't read them.

No, I'd already read the message - your message was interesting, but did it
need 6k of other stuff tacked on the end?  No.  I've not even got onto the
"save bandwidth" thing - but if you think about it, I send a message to the
list, let's say a 10k message.  It gets sent to 100 people.  10 people
reply, to the list and the poster, it goes out 100 more times, it just
sorta grows and grows and grows - sending an extra(IE, not important to the
discussion) 5k of stuff is not insignificant on the overall scheme of
things.

I don't believe a list of
>this size can cater to everbodys needs no matter how we adjust. I think you
>have to take the good with the bad as its what makes us individuals and
>the list helpful.

I do - but an effort should be made to save as much "space" as possible -
if you have something short to say, chop out the stuff that does not affect
what you are saying, leave enough for context, send smaller messages, the
world will be a better place.  Oh no.

>Ill definitely make a note of it.

OK!  Thanks for flaming, it was fun!  TTFN......

I.Mannix