Re: Not hitting on all cylinders

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, David LeDeaux wrote:

> I'm having a small problem with a 1980 Scirocco I just purchased.  The
> problem is as follows...

Yeah! Gotta love the first generation rocco's! Good year too!(me too)

> I start the car, it runs for about 5-10 seconds, regardless of what I do
> with the gas pedal.  After about 5 or 6 times of this happening, it starts
> and continues to run, but it misses badly, and idles rough.

Fuel accumulator....yeah I know it's expensive, but they do go bad...

> My hunch:
>
> The car was sitting for 3 years before I came along and rescued it :).  I
> have an odd sneaking suspicion that a couple of the fuel injectors are
> clogged.  I'm hoping there isn't something wrong with the fuel
> distributor... I want to check the spray pattern of the injectors, but I'm
> a little unsure as to how the injectors come out.  I've seen a little tool
> somewhere that's supposed to pull them, but is there any other way?  Also,
> does anyone think I'm on the right track here?

I was thinking that it was the injectors, fuel accumulator, ect...so your
probably on the right track...check the little screens that or on the fuel
distrubutor lines...change your fuel filter....

Now the injectors....just pull them out! Easy! Just grab the injector, not
the fuel line!...

> While we're on the subject, can someone educate me as to what controls the
> "timing" on the fuel distributer with the rest of the engine?  Does it just
> constantly inject fuel into the head, or is there some way it's controled?
> It seems very inefficient to have it constantly spraying...

I'm definately not well educated in injection...but we have a CIS
system(Continuous Injection System)...so I would figure it's just
maintains pressure in all the lines...

> Any help is appreciated...
> Dave

Hope this helped!