Re: Not hitting on all cylinders

Wow, well here goes, as I myself have found my self diving more into
the FI side of our beasts.....

First, your start run for 5-10 secs then dies tells me you are at
least utilizing the 'cold start/5th injector' Then it kicks and is
only running on cyl 3&4.

Also, confirm make sure you have a good new fuel filter in case a
clogged filter is contributing to your woes.

Next, I will assume the fuel pump/relay is functioning as you are
atleast getting some fuel to keep it running at a given
point....Weather or not it is outputting enough fuel is a different
story to be checked next.

Pull your injectors....1980 you say...Heck you may be able to pull
them out with your bare hands (I did this to Shawns car for Fun when I
met him in San Diego) :)  If not grip the base with a pair of
pliers/vice grips at the base (nut like end nearest head) and pull
straight up.  Remember to replace the o-rings while your at it.  You
DO NOT need the tool you have seen advertised.

Get yourself 4 spring water bottles with nipple ends, cut the white
nipple part off and the injectors should sit in the bottles quite
nicely.  Cable time them together if you are an anal retentive German
like myself :).  You may have to losen the 'banjo' bolts at the fuel
distributor to swing them to the front of the car to reach your
homeade FI testor.  Re-tighten the bolts.  Remove the Black rubber
boot on the fuel distributor (your intake air suction).  You will now
see the throttle plate-- circular plate with what looks like a bolt
head in the middle.
Now locate your fuel pump relay under the dash.  Remove the relay, and
place a jumper wire between the 2 oversized connections.  This will
operate the fuel pump without the car running.  Now go back to the
fuel distributor and with a strong magnet, or gently gripping the bolt
head in the throttle plate with pliers pull straight up.  This will
activate the flow of fuel to your injectors.  The further up you pull
the more fuel will flow.  Do this for about 2 minutes noting the spray
patterns (and at various height levels of the throttle plate).  The
patters should make a nice misting cone, and when you are done the
levels in each of the bottles should be the same.

Education.  On the early CIS (not CIS-E) there are adjusting screws
for each injector where the injectors leave the fuel distributor, but
DO NOT MESS with them.  As CIS implies it is CONTINUOUS injection, so
the flows should all be on and the same all the time, no so called
timing to speak of.

Hope this gets you rolling, (litterally)

==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v