Re: Not hitting on all cylinders

Lets try something a little simpler then Paul's explanation first.

You say the car has been sitting for over 2 years.  My 78 daily
driver sat for 1.5 years in a bone yard before I resurected it.  Lets
look at the obvious first.
     Open the airbox, pull out the air filter, and clean the entire
area under the fuel distributer (the top of the airbox).  Use 2+2 or
some other spray cleaner.  Also pull the round boot off the top and
spray clean the top of the flap.  Usually this regulator system gets
gummed up with oil or a good mouse nest.
  If that doesn't work, try a new pressure regulator.  This is the
rectangular box on the front of the block where the two fuel lines
attach.  It is just left of the distributer.  Since the car has been
sitting for so long, the old gas may have clogged up this piece.  You
may be able to undo the two fuel lines and clean it out with spray
cleaner, but I had to replace mine with a good used one.

These two things were all it took to get mine running after two
years.
     If that doesn't fix it,  pull the injectors and lay them accross
the valve cover just where they pull out.  They will lay flat and
point toward the front of the car.  Lay a towel under them to cover
the motor and grill.  If you have a Bentley, you know where to put in
a jumper wire to run the fuel pump.  each injector should have a
fog-like mist.  This may be an issue, but I doubt it.

Keep us posted.
Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA ex-Solo II Chairman
DSP 79 VW Scirocco- 94,96,97 DSP Regional Champ
86 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
79 VW Scirocco rusty bucket daily driver
phillyscca@enter.net
Safety First, Fun Second, Winning a distant Third