VIN mystery deepens, Ibuprofen needed

>I think your insurance company may be correct, unfortunately.  Does the car
>have rear discs?  I have seen one black 86 car with a 16v engine - we could
>not tell if it was "real" or not - is yours an 86?  His had most of the 16v
>things - but no rotors, no lower stressbar, some other stuff.  Hope they're
>wrong, but I don't think they are....

Thanks very much Jason, Iain, Mark, John and Brett for the 24 hour
roadside assistance.

Interesting fact. I believe it was an '87 bought at the end of '86, but
had everything 16V in it.

I'm completely stumped now. I just got the records from the 2 previous
owners. All the way back to day one *at the dealership* this 16V car has
work orders for 16V parts with  WVWCA 0532HK000076 written at the top.
Ten years of writing this VIN at the dealer and nobody noticed the
discrepency? The Glove door and the back hatch had the badges too. And
yes there was a stock lower stress bar. Does  anyone have an idea whats
is going on here? I can see only one possibility. If the car is right,
and my insurance co. is right, then the VIN plate itself must be wrong.
Could the factory have  screwed it up-the wrong VIN plate attached after
too much Jagermeister at lunch??
Is the VIN riveted right to the body, or to a (possibly swapped) sub
assembly of the body?