Re: scirocco question

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:49:19 -0800 "Smokinn"
<smokinn@crestview.sbceo.k12.ca.us> writes:
>A quick check to see if your alternator is charging is to remove the
>Negative cable from your battery and then replace it, but don't tighten
>it......leave it loose, but snug enough to start the engine.  After you
>start your engine......remove the negative cable......if the alternator
is
>charging, the engine will continue to run.  If it isn't charging....the
>engine will die instantly.
>

>Gerry

Id recomend you not do this. I dunno where I read or was told that the
electrical system is very sensative to this sort of thing and you can
short out a computer or do some bad damage to the electrical system on
VW's. On older cars, this was how we tested the alternator all the time
but for some reason, I feel very strongly that this is the going advice
on this alternator test.
YO! You guys with them rich Bentleys, what does it say about that in
there?? (Look under the "electrical/alt testing" section.
I may be wrong on this, so somebody prove or disprove me on this one.
(Back me, or hack me!)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan/meze/hello/