Re: scirocco question

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:06:22 -0800 (PST) Paul Krucke <vwfan53@yahoo.com>
writes:
>Uhhhh, although there is some truth to what Gerry said below, DO NOT
>DO THIS ON A TRANSITORIZED IGNITION SETUP (basically any car without
>points most VW's after 1980), you can toast your little black box's.
>The car will die immediately regardless of the alternator working or
>not.  I can speak from experience.  The battery acts as a "Filter" for
>the TCI  system.
>
>This does work great on by bug though ;-)
>
>-Paul

I was about to point that out Paul, Good call.
You really should not do this to any car with any kind of computer
control.
With VW's it normally won't do too much damage, just normally reset the
brain to "limp home mode", which is when the brain shuts itself off to
avoid the voltage spike from the missing "filter" (battary), but it can
be reset, it will just run like crap until you do.

But still, I agree with Paul.

DONT DO IT!!

Todd J.
shikaroka@juno.com