Re: scirocco question

To check if your alternator works, charge your battery so you can start the
car, place an voltmeter on the batteryterminals and see what is is reading when
the engine are shut off. Should be around 12volts, a little more or less to
battery condition and charge.
    Start the engine and rev past 2000 rpm, this is important because many VW
don't start to charge the battery before reved.
    Read the voltmeter, it should be over 13,5V. If it is lower than 13,5V but
over your reading before starting you might have bad contacts or bad wires, the
voltage regulator or the brushes might not work. It might be that your battery
was soaked out of power to but in that case the reading will increase soon. If
it is under your start value, you have a broken wire, no contact, broken
alternator.
    If your value is over 14,5V your car is overcharging. Try change the
voltageregulator because othervise you vill fry the battery.
    If you think that your alternator is good, shut down the engine and read
the voltmeter, put on high beams and look at the voltmeter, if it starts to
decrease and don't stop, you probobly have a bad battery. At the moment you
turn on highbeams the voltage vill dropp but is should stabilaze in less than
10 seconds and should be well over 10V. Exeption if you have 100Watts lamps and
some extrabeams.

Hope this might help you find the prolbem. You can use very simple and cheap
voltmeters without problem, if you are not shure the voltmeter is showing right
numbers just check the relations of the readings.

Roland, Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82