Re: scirocco question

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:15:38 -0500 (EST) Rich Deede----TOOL FAN
<rdeed@UDel.Edu> writes:
>Here is the deal with my car.  I bought it on November 1 and it drove
>decently with a bit of a rough idle.  I then put the car in my garage at
>home as I am at school now and have no time for the car and no place to
>keep it here at school.  One week ago, I went home and tried to start up
>ny car, when I tried starting it up it didn't even turn over but all of
>the electrical power came on.  I gave it some time and tried it again
but
>still the same thing.  After a few more tries, it still did the same
thing
>but now there was a clicking noise, coming from what sounded like inside
>the car, below my steering wheel(my fuse box?) and then real quickly the
>car lost all electrical power and the car totally died.  Now when I try
>start the car absolutely nothing happens.  So what do you guys think
>before I haul it in to the repair shop for maybe some expensive
>repair.
>
>Rich
>87 16valve(not running)-black

3 words:

Battery, Battery, Battery.

Either get a new battery, or get a cheap little battery charger. The fact
that you drove it home says that it was in good enough shape to start the
car. (Duh, I know but it gets better.)  It had probably gotten started
often enough to keep an edge on the charge of the battery so it would
start, daily or every few days, ect. Its a sigh of a few things. Your
charging system isnt up to par. (I doubt it.)  OR, your battery is
nearing the end of its service life and just isnt able to hold a full
charge over time so when you went back, it didn't have enough juice to
crank the motor, but had enough to run everything else on the car, until
you killed the battery trying to start the car. Did you try to jump start
it?? I bet it starts. (Just as soon as you get fuel pressure, it will
crank right up.)

HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan/meze/hello/