Looked at an 87 16V - kinda long

I've been looking a while now for an 84 GTI or a decent Scirocco ever
since I moved back to the States.  I've been amazed at how people
absolutely trash older VW's in this area.  I got my hopes up today and
shouldn't have.  I saw in the paper: 87 VW Scirocco, black, blah blah,
$1300.  My first thoughts are the car must be trashed for that price.
So I call the person, and she makes the car sound like it's in real good
shape.  By the time I went to see it, it was dark out.  Just by using a
flashlight, I see the body on this car is trashed!  It looks like
someone had taken a crowbar, stuffed it between the pass side fender and
door and pried away.  WTF??  About a nice 1" inch gap between fender and
door.  The paint was in bad shape, it had a *&^$ing bra on it that had
built up mud under it, the hood cable was broken, sunroof was very noisy
when the car was running, cooling temp guage showed a little above 3/4
(I noticed the cooling fan wasn't kicking on), bumper was pushed in like
it had been hit, the engine (132k miles) was leaking some oil but not
much and it sounded there was an exhaust leak around the downpipe area.
These are all things I found in the dark with a flashlight.  I plan to
go again tomorrow during lunch so I can check it out in the daylight.
The interior was kinda nice.  Grey/silvery seats with leather (vinyl?)
side bolsters.  The dash was cracked and the driver seat had a tear in
it.  Otherwise, the interior looked good.  So..what do ya guys think?
Worth the 1300?  I'm thinking a good 16V goes for 3500, so is 2200 off
that worth it?  I'd really love to have a Scirocco again...

-Mike
92 GTI 16V
95 GTI VR6