Re: scirocco: antidote to the 944

Mannix,
I agree completely. I recently picked up a BMW for an irrisistable
price, then just barely broke even selling it. High quality cars are
always going to be expensive to maintain, as they are generally
cutting edge technology and made in limited numbers with less
compromises than sporty econoboxes.
     As for watercooled Porsches being too similar to Trans Ams, I
recently had a student at a BMW school that had a '96 Z-28 that took
turn one at Road Atlanta 20 MPH faster than my Scirocco, and going up
the hill after turn one reached well over 100, while the Scirocco
struggles to make it up the hill in 4th. (DSP car with coilovers, R-
1s... and an experienced driver) The new American iron has come a
long way recently in the handling and braking departments. (And
torque is wonderful, but they have always had that)(Student
accidentally went from 3rd to 6th instead of 4th, and the car didn't
care, it still pulled like a scalded cat)
     Geoff