Re: proposed anti-theft device

>Here is a description of the circuit that I have installed in my Celica
>disable the ignition ("ignition kill switch").  I'm not too good at
>ASCII
>art so I will try to describe the circuit instead.
>
>The operation is as follows:
>
>1. Turn the key to the ignition position.
>2. Place a small magnet on a certain location of the dash board to
>enable a relay.
>3. Once enabled, the magnet can be removed.
>4. Turn the key to start the engine.
>

>The magnet activates a hidden reed switch that is located behind the
>dash
>board.  It could also be located in the base of the drivers seat.
>
>Disabling the starter is the least effective method.  Disabling the
>ignition
>or EFI computer will allow the engine to turn over but not start.
>Disabling
>the fuel pump will allow carbureted engines to start and run for a
>minute or
>so until the fuel in the carb runs out.  On my Celica with dual Weber
>DCOEs,
>I can actually drive quite a while before this happens.  On EFI engines,
>the
>engine *may* start and run for a few seconds, until the fuel in the fuel
>rail loses pressure.
>
>Parts Required (total cost approx. $10 to $15):

This is a great idea. I'll try something like on the next car. I think
the best security results from engine turnover-its up to the thief to
waste time guessing if there's a fuel or spark disable or just a crappy
car that won't start-if it runs for bit and dies, all the better. Combine
that with a handmade one of a kind reed or thyrister in your place of
choice and you've got peace of mind. This gives nearly the level of
security of "the plug" ($15.00 vs.$200.00).

Re: last post- replace "celica" with "corolla" :) I know not of what I
speak.