Re: Timing Belt Quest.

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:16:34 -0500 (EST) Killa <killa@meceng.coe.neu.edu>
writes:
>Yesterday on my way to work my timing belt went on my 87 8v,  I was
>hoping to replace the CV Joints this weekend.  Question was the engine
>affected when the Timing belt went, and can just reeplacing the timing
>belt help fix the problem.

Not a problem, see, arent you glad you have an 8V! Shame on you for
letting the belt break on its own! Its not a problem, just reset the cam
mark to its TDC marks and the flywheel mark to its TDC mark. Then remove
the distributor cap. Note where the #1 spark plug wire is on the
distributor cap and move the rotor so it points to where the #1 spark
plug wire is located in relation to the dist. cap. Install the new belt.
(NOTE Mileage so you can remember to replace the belt within its 60,000
mile limits so your not stuck on the side of the road..) Reinstall the
dist. cap and set your timming.

> I own a Bentlys manual, but it is not with me
>right now So if any one knows the specifi tools that I may need,
pleaase
>feel free to help me out.

Hmm, on your 87 you may have the later style tensioner pulley. if you do,
its got 2 little holes that a special tool is needed to set the belt
tension. if you have the older style, its got a provision to use a big
wrench! (Hope you have the later. I dunno WTF VW was thinking going to
the later style tensioner. I bet they were giggling the whole time they
redesigned the thing. its a PITA when you don't have the tool. )
By all means, get the bentley back! What's up with you guys loaning out
your manuals?? Have you noticed that when you don't have it, something
goes wrong?? This is #2 in as many weeks.

>If the car can not be fixed, I guess off to the junk yard or put it up
>for sale for parts.
>Please Help.
>
>Kilimanjaro

What-are-you, nuts? Scirocco's can always be fixed! How dare you even
think about the junk yard! shame-shame-shame!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and