RE: Beware of Virus

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Brubaker, John wrote:

> I thought you had to actually run a program to acquire a virus.  I'm
> pretty sure it's impossible to be infected by simply reading an email.
>  Please Watch out for macros and .exe files.  Does this sound correct
> to y'all?

Yes - the only way to get a virus is via executable code (note that
this does include the macro language used by MS Word - there was
something floating around for a while that could cause problems *if*
you used MS Word to read email).

This is a virus, however - just the mental kind.  Note how much time
was wasted on the "Good Times" hoax... and how many responses just on
this list that are sure to appear in the next 30 minutes...

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/