Re: Beware of Virus

Kevin Wenzel wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Brubaker, John wrote:
>
> > I thought you had to actually run a program to acquire a virus.  I'm
> > pretty sure it's impossible to be infected by simply reading an email.
> >  Please Watch out for macros and .exe files.  Does this sound correct
> > to y'all?
>
> Yes - the only way to get a virus is via executable code (note that
> this does include the macro language used by MS Word - there was
> something floating around for a while that could cause problems *if*
> you used MS Word to read email).

I sell computers and one of my coustomer recently had 2 viruses on his PC.
Monkey Virus B (boot sector virus) and a Word Macro Virus. (can't remember the
name) Anyway you can get boot sector viruses from just putting a floppy disk in
your drive. You don't have to run a program from it. Also I used to run a BBS
for years and never had a virus the most common viruses I've seen in my
experience have been boot sector viruses usually originating at schools and
colleges for some reason.