Re: [tech] ajustable timing devices

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 21:01:53 -0500 (EST) Roccet@aol.com writes:

>16v are very tricky !! . No one wants to put out a Adjustable Cam
sprocket
>for fear of the avg. person messing up timing . Once you mess up timing
on a
>16v Boom there goes your motor . We make adjustable cams (European
Modified)
>and have also tossed around the idea of making a 16v sprocket but our
>insurance is already high enuf this would just be a bigger increase i
dont
>need. The only way I would sell a 16v sprocket is to a Racer that way i
am
>not responsible for there action.
>
>Mark Christiansen
>European Modifieds

That sounds kinda silly to me. if it fails or has some kind of
detrimental effect on the engine, what difference would it make if its a
racer or an enthusiast's motor? Obviously if its an enthusiast, he's
looking to get everything out of his motor (or he's just got way too much
money to buy toys) as he can. Right? I just dont see the relation of your
products and your insurance company.

>From a manufacturing standpoint, I would think the cam sprocket would
roughly be the same thing? (different timming marks, 2 on the 16V gear
and one on the 8V.) But as far as the cam shaft sizes, it would be the
same, right? <I dunno> So what's the problem with making one? Maybe there
is nothing to gain in performance by making one? Maybe that's why others
like Autotech, Velocity, ND and the like haven't made one yet? Hmm. Ok
then, just thinking thru me fingers again.

Oh, Mark, dont take the above as a flame. Its definitely not. Im just
curious is all.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and