Re: Guess what??

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 19:59:49 -0600 (CST) SgtPeper <sgtpeper@eagle.ais.net>
writes:
>Well i have had the car back fer a little while now and guess what??
> Its still leaking.....
>Jeff
>'87 Scirocco 16v

Jeff, i think I missed or forgot the first part of your post. What was
the original problem? what did you fix?

I recall it was a tranny leaking oil, but obviously you haven't found it,
right? it was the driver side axle seal, right? (well, not really since
its still leaking.)

Have you cleaned the bottom of the tranny so when it does leak, you can
find it? Its awfully hard to find a leak when there's an inch of grime
that its seeping into. Also, can you duplicate the leak while its parked?

Id cautiously recommend you put the car up on jacks and let the car idle
in first gear. ONLY do this if you know what your doing! I dont want to
read in the paper about some guy getting run over by his car while
looking for leaks! :) Its sort of a risky way to check for leaks but if
you have a good set of jack stands and solid ground, you should be able
to do it safely. This method also puts an awful lot of strain on the Cv's
so if they're old, you might not want to do this test either. definitely
do clean under the tranny so you can find the leak. If its either drive
seal, it should be somewhat obvious to find. (Unless its an input shaft
seal in the tranny...DOH!)
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and