Re: [tech] ajustable timing devices

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 22:34:26 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:
>Ok now whats the diff between ignition timing and cam timing, when i
>went to have my car set back to spec and he said it was +9 advanced,
>what did he set back? my cam or my ignition..I'm guessing my timing.

Right, guessing your "timming" would be correct too since it would apply
to both of your queries.
OK, Ignition timming is what makes the spark in relation to the piston
position.
Cam timming is what makes the valves open/close in relation to the piston
position. (Not the websters definition, but it gets the point across, I
hope.)

>as he didnt touch my cam sprocket. So how did my timing get so far
>advanced on it's own?

The stock cam sprocket isn't adjustable, unless you slip a tooth on the
timming belt. Its quite a jump in cam timming either way you go with the
cam gear. Still, its one way to get the effect your after I suppose. Your
timming had to be set there, not get there on its own. It may have been
set to say 6 degrees and in time, with worn components in the ignition
system, the timming end up at 9 degrees. If your knock sensor was acting
up when the timming was being set could of effected the original setting.
Its possible.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and