Re: Dumb questions for the day

Shawn C Meze wrote:

> You know what, I love you man. Even when I met you at the car show,
> you
> just got this awesome innocent quality about you when it comes to cars
>
> that I just truly adore. (wow, does look somewhat out of touch with my
>
> manliness but hey, im comfortable with my feelings. I don't <READ - DO
>
> NOT> get boners when I hug guys. DOH!)

You know the line in Pink Floyd The TRial, "the bleeding Hearts and
Artists", I am an artist, and you have gone to a lot of therapy
hehehehehehehehe  (Just joking, I have gone to lot's of therapy)

> OK then. Getting back on topic here for a minute, there really is no
> difference. Driving lights are really nothing more than clear lights.
> What's called fog lights are typically yellow. They mount in the same
> location ect. There are a few new lights like PIAA and CAT ect out
> that
> are "Ion blue". Its a trendy thing. I think I confused you with my
> reference to "cornering lights". They  are just driving lights that I
> aimed to my liking and on my car are only effective when your are
> doing
> just that, cornering. (Or looking for a house number. heh-heh.)

Tell me about it, Euro lights here I come.

> I myself don't like the yellow lights. They're just not bright for me.
> also don't like colored ski goggles (reds yellows) but many people do.
> prefer clear for my tastes. Many people like the yellow in fog
> conditions
> but to me, they have the same effect as clear lights but not as
> bright.
> (They light up the fog and you cant see any better.)

The yellow ones make you look like a honda Driver

> Adding a set of clear lights is like an additional set of high beams.
> You
> can aim them to fill in any dark spots you might be annoyed with.
> (which,
> with the stock lights, I think we all are to some degree.)

$300-$400 Euro Lights here I come.

> >DQ #2:
> >
> >       What is the proper etiquette for flashing the high beams on
> the
> >road?  Are you supposed to flash the lights at the car ahead of you
> >signal them to move over or to tell them that you are going to go
> around
> >them?  I guess it would depend on which lanes the cars are in when
> this
> >happens?  I've also seen it used and have used it myself to signal to
>
> >someone in an adjacent lane who has the blinkers on that it is OK to
> move
> >into my lane.  I'm talking about the U.S. in case that makes a diff.
> >
> >Thanks all, benton------
>
> In the US, proper etiquette is that you never flash another car. Oh,
> well, what I meant to say is that its against the law. Flashing
> everybody
> seems to be commonplace nowadays.
> Its funny but I only flash other cars when ive been behind them for a
> long time and im trying to get by and all thy can do is look at me. I
> give them a real quick pulse of the high beams to let them know I want
>
> by. Then give them a few seconds to react. If nothing, them I give
> them a
> second burst of light. This goes on until usually I end up passing
> them
> on the right side lane and then gently cutting them close as I merge
> back
> into the fast lane. (Yeah, im an asshole, sue me.)

Thats what comes from driving little, well handling cars man, last night
I had some asshole drive up behind me, In a military (overly powerhungry
cop) zone, and started flashing me for doing the speed limit.  Now I
drive this road every day, and know where there will be police, and
where I can act crazy, so she starts brighting me and disappearing below
my spoiler (MKII thing, means they are too close), so I started
shifting, held the clutch in second, hit the brakes hard and pulled the
clutch out and accellerated hard.  So this asshole thinks IT IS CUTE TO
DO IT AGAIN, so next passing zone  I pull this beautiful maneuver, speed
up to next car (two in a row), pulled tight, waited for oncoming car to
pass, and did the 45 to straight passing turn I have picked up (you
know, the one where you pick up your back end, and place it perfectly
down in line, at the exact same time as acceleration) and  jammed on
this guy so HARD FUCKING CORE that his japanese made US car driving ass
felt like he had no TESTACLES (or ovaries if it be the case)

FUN in NY

> I think you pretty much have the right idea on this topic tho. If you
> spend any time on the open road, you will see truckers flash their
> lights
> on/off to signal when its clear to merge over. That's another good
> signal
> method I think.

I agree

> On another one of my famous stories from the past. When I first got to
>
> Germany in 85, I started driving there shortly after. I hadn't gotten
> the
> classes that you get as a military member in a foreign country (some
> etiquette, laws, customs, stuff ect.). So what I did do was pick up on
>
> the driving laws so I could get my license to drive. So, im driving
> down
> the road and these cars comming up on me flash at me and pass me on
> the
> left. I knew that you  could only pass on the left by law but didn't
> know
> about the flashing part. Its a good think I didn't start flipping
> birdies
> left and right at people like my US driving instincts told me to do.
> :)
> They flash you to let you know they're gonna pass you and for you to
> not
> pull out in front of you. Damn good idea I say.
> Something else that I thought was cool was that when your flying on
> the
> Autobahn and you come up to a slowing or worse, traffic jam, they cars
> in
> front of you will put on their hazards to let you know its slowing
> ahead.
> Very cool because you turn yours on and it snowballs to the next
> drivers
> comming up on you at 100+ mph. Very cool and very safe indeed. I wish
> we
> could drive like that over here, but hey, were Americans, well NEVER
> do
> something good like that. Oh well......

I put on Flashers, because it is safe(also because my dad is from
Finland, and taught me to drive

> Hey, you guys like "Mickeys Bigmouth Beer"? I cant drink as many of
> them
> as I used to. Dang! Someone come help me drink these things......

Gave it up for Lent, but I might be on the west coast, for some geology
thing, and will try to look you up before I go (the boss will fly, maybe
I will drive???)

--
dharma

85 scirocco 8v (Gracias for the help on it guys)
88 Golf GTI (pushed to 1 month away by lack of a raise)

http://www.cocoloco.com/david/rocco.htm