Re: Self Machining Syndrome (Read this one)

Brett VanSprewenburg wrote:
> SNIP..
> There's a few more paragraphs, but you get the gist (and then some).

> ==Brett

Thanks for posting this arcticle.  I'd been meaning to try to obtain the
April 90 VW&Porsche for some time but never got around to it..

Unfortunately, no tranny number is given for when the problem was
corrected, only for when it began.  They say the problem was fixed for
the 87 model year.  I'd like to think that is true, for I own an 87 8V,
with the close ratio, .89 fifth.  An early 87 at that, production number
000403, built in July 1986.

I do have my doubts about the fix coinciding with the model year
changeover.  Since there was likely no downtime on the assembly line
between changeover (aren't the two model years identical?) It could have
come before or after the changeover.  In the meantime, I won't be losing
too much sleep over it and I'm not fixing it until it breaks.
Rob.