Re: NOS article

> 	I'd hate myself if I left this alone, so I'll say it.

It's a free country!

> I think my car
> does it in about 7.0-7.1(whatever it is, it's a very low 7).  I say this
> cuz my car runs the quarter-mile in about 15.5sec.  That's with a
> swiss-cheesed airbox, no cat, and a busted header.  Other than that, my
> car is bone stock, and since just about everyone has told me that any
> gains with a header on the 16V are minimal, than I'd have to say that my
> car is still pretty close to stock.  What's the deal?

It sounds like you have an exceptional vehicle, and despite what you say,
it's not totally stock.  Stock cars didn't have high-flow filters, drilled
air-boxes, and high-flow headers (even though yours is in bad shape, it
still probably flows better then stock...), and no restrictive cat.  And
didn't you rip most of the interior out, as well as the spare tire...?
I belive that you car is quite quick, don't get me wrong...but...

Here's the real deal.  These are the exact numbers from the NOS article:

(Using a Vericom VC-200 computer for timing accuracy, we made nine test
runs in a 1987 GTI fitted with the Autotech nitrous kit...the cars odometer
had a total of 25,000 miles, while the nitrous had been on for a total of
3000 miles. Tires were 185/60-14 Pirelli P600's)

Our test area was level asphalt in the early evening.  The outside air
temperature for the bottle was approximately 80 degrees, not optimum
but within the range of operation.  Using the Vericom computer with two
people in the car, 0 to 60 runs were clocked at an average of 10.3 seconds
in normally aspirated trim (remember the tires).  The runs with the nitrous
averaged 7.65 seconds.  On average, the nitrous reduced 0-60 times by
2.65 seconds.

Here are other reported real deals from VW & P and European Car and VW themselves:

The October 1988 VW & Porsche had a very large multi-article feature issue on
the Scirocco "Evolution of a Sports Coupe".  The article reported performance
figures for all Scirocco configurations ever sold.  The 16v 0 - 60 was stated
to be 8.1 seconds.

Another article in another issue talked about doing a G60 Scirocco conversion
project and stated the stock 0 - 60 for the 16v at 8.5 seconds.

The VW factory themselves claimed a 0 - 60 for the 16v at 8 seconds for the
Scirocco and slightly faster for 16v GTI(7.8 if I remember correctly).
They also advertised a claim of 5.9 seconds 0 - 50 for the Scirocco 16v.
Seems pretty quick and keeps it relevant to an 8 second 0 - 60 time.

> 	Just so's you knows, I'm not doing this to start anything.  I've read
> that VW purposely stated that the car's performance times were less than
> what they really were.  I dunno why, but I believe it.

Maybe that's true, and I hope it is, believe me.  It's just that all the documentation
that I've read says otherwise.  Maybe someone with a bone stock car and a Vericom
or G-Tech can help us answer this question.  I'd be very pleased to find out
that performance figures have been understated. Anyone?

> jason
> the mad bastard

==Brett