help! transmission grinding

Ack! on my way home I started noticing a grinding noise. It only
grinds when I have the car in gear and am rolling. I can depress the
clutch and the grinding goes away and I can pop the shifter out of
gear and the grinding stops..any ideas??? maybe a bolt may have
dropped in the bellhousing? as I dont have a cover over that hole on
the top of the trans next tot the block..but I'm not short any bolts.
what aboiut a self-maching trany?? uggg this is frustrating. the car
is driving great, smooth shifts, running strong, I have no clue.
it's a 1987 16v manual 5speed.

Ryan