Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OIL!!!!!

> > I sincerely hope I am wrong, BUT, it definitely sounds like the dreaded
> > "Self Machine Syndrome". Your tranny has machined a piece into the bell
> > housing and its leaked fluid all over the clutch and run out the bottom.
> > This sucks because as Rick found out, the only way to fix it is basically
> > a total rebuild or, buy another used tranny and hope it don't do the same
> > thing.
> > On the brighter side, you can only leak about 2.1 quarts of fluid which
> > sounds like you probably already did that so, at least you can now park
> > it in the garage if need be. Im damned sorry to hear about your problems
> > on this. With a little luck, im completely wrong on this and its
> > something else that easy to fix.
> >

> >               Shawn Meze
>
> I would tend to believe that Shawn is correct except for the fact that
> VW stopped using the idiotic 'enlarged' rivet, and went back to the
> retaining clip for the 16v transmission pinion shaft.  Now, it is
> possible that his car got a transplant from a suspect year/model...
> What's the transmission code (found on a small flat plate at the bottom,
> it's really dirty so scrub it a little).  I'm not saying that the
> dreaded SMS isn't possible, just a whole lot less likely due to the
> hugely more effective retaining clip on the tranny pinion shaft.
>
> ==Brett

So what tranny codes are affected by this problem?  Do I have to worry
about my '87 16v Scirocco (AGB, I think)?  Also, is the tranny from my
'88 16v GTi parts car the same as the Scirocco ones?  I haven't checked
the code yet.  Thanks.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi
'85 Jetta diesel
'82 diesel pickup
'69 baja Beetle
parts cars - '80 Rabbit diesel, '86 GTi, '88 16v GTi
website - http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm