Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OIL!!!!!

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:39:10 -0600 (CST) SgtPeper <sgtpeper@eagle.ais.net>
> writes:
>
> > IT WAS TRANNY OIL!!!!!!
> >Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to where it could be
> >slowly leaking from????
> >
> >Owell
> >Jeff
>
> I sincerely hope I am wrong, BUT, it definitely sounds like the dreaded
> "Self Machine Syndrome". Your tranny has machined a piece into the bell
> housing and its leaked fluid all over the clutch and run out the bottom.
> This sucks because as Rick found out, the only way to fix it is basically
> a total rebuild or, buy another used tranny and hope it don't do the same
> thing.
> On the brighter side, you can only leak about 2.1 quarts of fluid which
> sounds like you probably already did that so, at least you can now park
> it in the garage if need be. Im damned sorry to hear about your problems
> on this. With a little luck, im completely wrong on this and its
> something else that easy to fix.
>

>               Shawn Meze

I would tend to believe that Shawn is correct except for the fact that
VW stopped using the idiotic 'enlarged' rivet, and went back to the
retaining clip for the 16v transmission pinion shaft.  Now, it is
possible that his car got a transplant from a suspect year/model...
What's the transmission code (found on a small flat plate at the bottom,
it's really dirty so scrub it a little).  I'm not saying that the
dreaded SMS isn't possible, just a whole lot less likely due to the
hugely more effective retaining clip on the tranny pinion shaft.

==Brett