Re: Sciroccos

vagabond@netcom.ca wrote:

> Hi to all!  I'm back on the net from my summer break, you probably
> don't remember me, but I'm glad to be back.
>         I have '81 rocco and rabbit,  in the summer I drove my
> Scirocco and now
> I switched to my Rabbit, it's sort of cold, icy and slippery up here
> in
> Canada so I save my baby only for the summer.  Anyway, what a huge
> difference in the two cars which are supposedly very close.  The
> rabbit
> is half as good in handling, acceleration is three times slower, and
> it
> just about uses twice as much gas.  I can't wait until next summer!

sounds like you need a GTI

>         While we don't have a permanent snow blanket on the ground I
> do drive
> my rocco from time to time, and what I have noticed is that while the
> car and tranny are cold shifting is really hard.  I use Castrol 80W/90
>
> oil in the tranny, and my question, is it possible to us a thinner
> grade
> or some additive so as to make driving easier and less harsh on the
> tranny in the cold climate?

Check the ND catalog for good additives/lubes

>         A funny side note: (well it was to me)  A friend of mine
> always made
> fun of my rocco because I work on it alot, he used to say what kind of
>
> German crap I bought that I have to fix it all the time. This went on
> for about a year, he an American car owner, and then one day he asked
> me
> to help him buy a car.  Now he own two, yes two, Sciroccos and wants
> buy a third one!  I was shocked for awhile.

My housemate bought a rocco, because he watched and helped me work on
it, and saw that nothing overly serious ever happens to vdubs

>         Anyone having trouble with vibrations, try centering your
> engine,
> Bentley covers this, if you don't have a Bentley I can tell you how.
> Later all.

I don't have a bently, how do you do it?

--
dharma

85 scirocco 8v (Gracias for the help on it guys)
88 Golf GTI (pushed to 1 month away by lack of a raise)
79 Saab 99 (restoration next summer)

http://www.cocoloco.com/david/rocco.htm