Ridiculously HIGH maint costs!

All:

     I've had my '86 8V for 2 yrs now.  I think I've spent a lil too much on
it and it still needs a lot of work to get it performing like I want it to.

     So far, I've spent $4000 on it.  I bought it for $4500, with 100K on it
and it seemed to be mint! (Lady driven and all the rest).  All Canadian $.
By the way it's still 100% stock!  No performance equiptment on it AT ALL. I
still want to get (1) mainfold/exhaust (2) suspension (3) new paint.

     So by the time I'm done with it (per a quote) it'd be another $3000.  A
lil much ... don't ya think?

opinions?

Kevin.