Re: Speakers

---Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com> wrote:

> > sealed and ported and bandpass, I understand that, I want a sealed
box
> > for nice tight bass.
> >
> > Kyle
>
> 	HMMM, alrightie then.  How about having a special enclosure built
into
> your spare?  By using a 6.5" or 8", you could probably have some
kind of
> enclosure created that would still allow you to keep your spare and
your
> trunk space.  Once again, this is a job that'll cost you a couple of
> bucks, but I totally believe in spending the extra dosh for a nice,
> clean, and somewhat hidden job.  I know,my priorities are a little
> off-center, but oh well :)
>

> jason
> 87 16V
message.

OK it seems everyone is talking about this so here is my 2 cents worth:
the guy who owned my car before me had 2 6x9's mounted on the rear
deck. This was not the best set-up. The speakers were way too heavy
for the particle board, and the sound was kinda muffled sounding
because of the loose mounting surface. I would not recommend this
set-up to anyone, the sound wasn't that good and your speakers are in
plain sight for anyone to see, and steal.
The set-up I have now is a Kenwood head unit (kdc-5005); a Kenwood 4
channel amp (kac-746), bridged to provide 100 watts, 200 max, to a
Kicker SS120 speaker box. For those who don't know the SS120 has 12"
woofers. The amp is mounted to the back of the rear seats, and the box
is wedged very carefully into the hatch area. Needless to say there is
next to no room in the hatch. Which is fine with me because I don't
want to carry anything in my beautiful car, except me and a passenger
or two.
Anyways this system is very loud and the bass should be enough to
satisfy almost anyone. The only thing else I have to do is get some
4x6 plates up front with an amp to help out with the highs. The total
cost including installation was only $750. How so cheap you ask? Well
my ex-girlfriend works at Nobody Beats The Wiz and got everything,
including installation at cost!!!! Hidden message: be nice to your
ex-girlfriends it pays :)  If I had paid full price the cost would
have been around $1100 give or take a few bucks. Well I hope this
helps provide some help to those who are interested. Greg.