ignition module

Hello

I need some help here.  Does anyone know the difference between ignition
modules used on Vw's 81-85 or so. I'm talking about the 7 pin connector
mounted to the heat sink in the tray below the windshield.  My 85 scirocco
has my old departed 84 GTI engine in it.  The part numbers are different.  my
friends Rabbit also has a different part number.  Are these programable some
way?  Are they different?  One better than the other?  Any help will be
appreciated!!!

thanks
dave

85 Scirocco