Re: A couple more question...

On Tue, 27 May 97 08:47:01 EDT snoalh@unx.sas.com wrote:

Sorry, Arthur, I sent this to you as well by accident....

> Hi Everyone-
>   First let me take a second to thank everyone for the great advice
> I've received from list members so far.  It is because if this advice
> that my project '84 runs at all!

COOL!  Getting cars to run after major work is fun isn't it?  =)

>   When you heard from me last I was complaining of hard to find/get into
> 1st gear.  The overwhelming response was to replace the bushings in the
> shift linkage.  I replaced the linkage and adjusted it per the
> instructions in Bentley.  I also replace the tranny fluid with redline.
> Now the thing shifts beautifully, except that I still can't get 1st
> gear :-(.  Before I replaced the bushings, I could hunt and search and
> get 1st eventually, now there is no finding it so I guess I must not
> have the linkage adjusted properly.  I did it by the book though, so
> I'm looking for suggestions.

Hmmmm....Have you tried getting into first by using the control lever on the back of
the tranny?  The one that the shift linkage pushes?  It's not the BEST way but at
least you'll know if it's the trans or the linkage.  You can just move it by hand with a
tiny bit of effort.  I thin the 1st gear position is in and then towards the drivers side.

>   On another note, my rocco had the little computer that, among other
> things, lists the oil temperature.  I was out riding around yesterday
> watching the oil temp go (in farenheit) 205, 206, 207, 208, 343!
> 343?!?!.  Yikes.  Water temp was fine everything else looks cool.
> Anyone else experienced this?  I suspect a bad wire or two, but
> I'm not sure where to look.  I guess I should just put it a VDO oil
> temp guage, but It would be nice it I could get this computer working
> properly.  Oh one other thing.  The computer also said the outside
> temp was 119.  I don't think so...

Could it be that the engine was so hot that the outside temp sensor was being
affected?  If so, that would definately by BAD!  What weight oil are you running?
Maybe the oil cooler is shot?  No, that wouldn't account for 140 more degrees.
hmmmm

>   I've got a healthy dose of slop in the front end...  ie I can rock
> the steering wheel ~6" back and forth without affecting the direction
> the car is traveling %-{.  Must be time to start to rebuild the front
> end.  I plan to replace: tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings.
> I may also do a manual steering rack (probably faster ratio).  Is there
> anything else I should replace?
>
>   Let's see, that's enough for now...
> 		thanks again!
> 		Arthur

GOOD LUCK!

Josh Clark
Visit EXC's Performance Website at:
http://idt.net/~exc
(201) 726 0507

-We specialize in specialty European parts and
-wheels for VW's