Re: Rear shocks lower bolt

At 6:46 PM -0600 05/23/1997, Paul Hanley wrote:
>Hello people:
>
>I have replaced one shock, but the bolt at the bottom of the other one is
>stuck in the rubber. I mean it twists along with the rubber part at the
>bottom of the shock.
>
>I have hammered the hell out of the bolt from the inside in hopes it would
>begin to push through, but after one hour of that, I gave up. I applied all
>of the force necessary to turn it out, but it moves about 1/4 rotation and
>then springs back as if it is part of the rubber. Help!!!
>

>Paul Hanley

Sucko.  Hate that.  Grease the new one when it goes back in;).  Lots of
penetrating oil - I like Liquid Wrench.  Replacing the shocks?  FIRE!!!
FIRE FIRE FIRE cool heh heh burn bushing burnit BURNIT!!!!!!

sorry....ok, yeah, you can burn the bushing out.  I like that part.  You'd
need an acetylene torch, the little propane deals don't get hot enough,
IMHO.  Drill?  You could drill out the middle, heat (BURN), twist, pull, it
generally sucks.  If you have a big (BIG) c-clamp, you can put a big socket
over the head of the bolt, clamp the bolt "into" the big socket.  I'd cut
to the chase and burn the bastard.  Most fun per minute.  Cool.  The bolt
is frozen to the sleeve within the bushing (metal sleeve), so while you
melt the bushing, which is quite enjoyable, you're really just using the
heat to free up the bolt - after the bushing is gone, it typically hammers
out fairly easily.  You will most likely ruin the shock burning it, though.
I guess you could use a die grinder, cut the eyelet at the bottom of the
shock, burn some more, take it out that way.  Best of luck, I hate those
problems.  Focus the hate.  Search and destroy.  Ahh, the fun, after the
fact, of course.  Don't cut the head off the bolt, you need that there.
Or, another way, but a pain in the ass - small bottle jack on the other
shock, pushing the bolt with a LONG punch, provided you have to push the
bolt toward the drum.  Hard, need two people to do it, but it can work.
Hope this helps!

Mannix (don't be afraid of that gastank, just be careful)