Re: Speedometers and oil

At 11:43 PM 5/19/97 -0400, you wrote:

>1) Recently my speedometer, which has been registering a little fast for
>quite a while (I should also add that my odometer has been broken for
>about a year) has developed a very annoying squeak. I don't plan on
>selling the car, so I could really care less what the odometer reads,
>and I've grown used to the speedometer being incorrect (about 5-10mph
>fast), but the squeak has got to go.  Is it as difficult as it looks to
>get behind the dash to see if there's anything I can do to stop the
>squeak? .. and once I'm there (if I get there) does anyone know what
>must be done?

One easy route, and a neat upgrade is to buy one of Marks 160 mph spedo for
$65! (I want one!!) Or, you could just go to a junkyard and buy the whole
spedo cluster out of a junked car and swap it, even-steven. Or, you cou
ld just buy a replacement spedo from a junkyard or I think new they're not
too expensive and swap just the spedo. Its a little more detailed work but
like i said, its another option.
For a fast easy fix, id opt for the cluster swap. The only problem is, you
dont know what kind of condition the clsuter is, unless you buy it from a
private seller.

>2) My mechanic has recommended that I run 20/50 oil in my car (a 1988
>Scirocco 16V) because it tends to run quite hot.  Does anyone else have
>a second opinion on this?   Are there pros and cons?

id say run it with the 20/50. Its the best grade oil you can put in an engine,
other than synthetic. The reason I think he;'s recomending it is that when
this grade oil gets really hot, it keeps its viscosity thru the higher temps.
In all, I still think its good advice.
Depending where you live, the winter months might require a different weight
oil but in my world, its 15W50 synthetic in the Scirocco and 20/50 in the GLi
year round.

Shawn