Speedometers and oil

If anyone could offer a little advice, I'd appreciate it...

Two questions:

1) Recently my speedometer, which has been registering a little fast for
quite a while (I should also add that my odometer has been broken for
about a year) has developed a very annoying squeak. I don't plan on
selling the car, so I could really care less what the odometer reads,
and I've grown used to the speedometer being incorrect (about 5-10mph
fast), but the squeak has got to go.  Is it as difficult as it looks to
get behind the dash to see if there's anything I can do to stop the
squeak? .. and once I'm there (if I get there) does anyone know what
must be done?

2) My mechanic has recommended that I run 20/50 oil in my car (a 1988
Scirocco 16V) because it tends to run quite hot.  Does anyone else have
a second opinion on this?   Are there pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.  I follow this list rather closely (what I can
comprehend... though I rarely post anything) and many of you seem to
know these cars amazingly well.

Rob M.

Longtime friend of the VW:
82 Rabbit Convertible (stolen)
84 Scirocco 9V (sadly totaled out due to a bent frame from a minor
fender bender)
88 Scirocco 16V (the car to end all cars, IMHO)