Re: AUTOX Has won me over.

Dan...I know exactly what you mean!
     I have a couple of friends who got into SCCA solo 2 racing just this
year. I'd been to an autoX or two and thought it was cool. I'd been wanted
to do an autoX eversince I got my licsense, but my dad wouldn't let me.
So now that I'm at college, 1800mi away from the parents, I decided to
give it a try.
     On Saturday the Atlanta region SCCA held a driver's school, so I went
along.  We did a lot of driving, and my tires (stock 175/70R13) took a
beating, esp the front!  There were all types of cars there.  From me with
my stock Scirocco, to a 96 911T, to an 85 Firebird with wideass tires in
the back and front...this thing is a BEAST!!!  Anyway, I had a great time
learning the limits of my car and proper cornering/braking techniques.
     Then on Sunday there was a realy autoX.  After rotating my tires and
adjusting the pressure, I was ready to go!  I got put in E Stock (ESN)
along with a couple Honda CRX's and some Neons.  I was talking with some
guys in my class before the race and they pointed out that 2 of the cars
I'd be racing against had won regionals or something the year before.
DAMN, there went my hopes of placing.  My runs were respectable,
considering street tires.

FUNRUNS- I'm not sure if other regions have this.  Once the competition is
over, you pay $2 per lap and have fun, not worrying about the cones too
much.  Well, the first guy out is a novice in a BMW 318 Coupe on BFG R/1
slicks.  The course starts out witha fast slalom...so he takes off,
pushing really hard.  Towards the end of the slalom he starts to get
sideways, overcorrects, up on 2 wheels, up on the passenger side, flip
once, twice, lands shiny side down. Everyone watching gives out a
collective "oh SHIT!" and runs out to the car.  We were able to drag the
dirver out, he was a little shaken up, a couple of cuts and bruises, but
otherwise ok.  The car on the other hand was in dire need of some body
work...like a new roof.  I have pictures!!

So that was my exciting weekend, how about you?

James A. Gardiner
Internet: jg140@prism.gatech.edu

'85 'rocco