Allignment Sham <mini novel>

Those of us that have installed the lowering or race springs might get a kick
out of this.
I called around to find out if I could get a custom allignment on my GLi and
my Scirocco. Most places skoff at the idea of setting something other than a
stock factory allignment. One place even went so far as to lecture me on the
DANGERS of not using the factory numbers. (whadda DOLT!) Whatever.

Just for giggles, I called my local Firestone Tire dealer who also does brakes
and allignment work. I asked my question and the guy says, "Sure we can do
that, bring it in!" So, Thursday morning, 9:am im there with the GLi, waiting
to have the Neuspeed recommended -1 deg camber and 1/16 toe out allignment put
on the car.

I tell the service manager exactly what I want, he writes it down. The game
plan was I would bring the GLi, drop it off and walk home (I brought my dog.
the main idea was she gets walked, alot!) and bring the Scirocco back to have
it done as well.  Just before I leave, I ask if I could sit in the Scirocco
while the allignment was being set. (we all know why you need to sit in the
car, still, he looked at me like I was some kind of freak) He said, "no, we
cant have anybody on the rack while the allignment is being done. Its policy".
Fine.

So, while im strolling down the street, im thinking about the attitude I heard
on the phone the day before, (warn, friendly, willing to work with customers,
cool.) and compare it to the one I just got. (cold, short, "we do things one
way and any other way is wrong", "you dont know anything".) was completely
different. Obviously, I wasnt dealing with the same person that I was on the
phone.

After I get home, I decide that for $50.00, I should get exactly what I want
in an allignment and not what they wanna give or do. Screw it, im not gonna
let them set my allignment on the Scirocco. Then I look over the paperwork he
gave me. He wrote 1/6 instead of 1/16 toe out. Hmm. So, I hook up the dog
again and we take another walk.

When I get there, there is this girl working there that wasnt there earlier. I
tell her who I am, why im there. She finds the paperwork and I requested she
ask her mechanic what he set the toe to. Then I pointed out the error on the
write up. She whips out this print out and looks it over and eventually says,
"I dunno, lemme ask him what he set it to".
In the background, I can hear him saying, "The suspension has been changed so
I cant set the allignment exact. I can only get it as close as I did". The
girl and I go round and round about allignment numbers, the more I talk, the
dizzier she looks. (Im pretty sure she is clueless about what exactly it is
that shop does for a living.) Then she says my favorite line in the world.
"Let me go get my manager".
Thank God! its about time! Finally, somebody with a clue! (Why is it, the
clueless ones man the desk?)

Out comes the manager and I explain the whole scenerio to him, he understands
and then tells me that its the policy of Firestone to only set factory
allignment specs. We went over the fact that my time has been wasted, his time
had been wasted and hes gonna loose $50. I will say that on his behalf, he did
handle the situation properly. One of his new people screwed up in telling me
they can do the allignment I wanted. He was wrong in doing that. So, the
manager gave me 2 numbers and address of places that will and do custom
allignment work and he made the work order to reflect a $0.00 ballance.

So what did I get? I got a factory spec allignment on the Jetta for free.
Julie likes it so it looks like I wont have to have it done again on her car.
Lucky me!
Now I just gotta get the Scirocco alligned.............
<END>

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi