Re: volksgeist pt.3

At 11:55 PM 5/16/97 -0400, webmaster wrote:
>Sean wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>> You might remember my query about four weeks ago regarding
>> my Rocco dying; well, its four weeks later and Im still at
>> a loss.
>> So, for the list, especially the true gurus, heres the fat:
>> 1. Scirocco 16v dies while idling.
>> 2. Spark at wire? no. Spark at coil? no.
>> (maybe test was inaccurate)
>> 3. Idea: faulty ignition control mod.
>
>Does your hall sender check out?  The dist on my 87 16v has an oil leak,
>and one of the wires on the dist to icm plug broke.  I was driving
>and it just chuged, backfired, and died.  I can't remember
>how you test the hall sender, it should be in the bently manual.
>I repaired the wire and was one my way (a new dist. costs $299! OUCH,
>Adirondack auto has rebuilt ones for $160 I think).  This is all
>I can think of,  You thought of everything else I would have.
>Also check the connector and plug on the dist for corrosion.
>if it isn't the hall sender than it has to be the ICM.
>
>Good Luck!
>Etrik
>http://activated.virtualscope.com/etrik
>--
>
>   I had the same problem on my 87 16v, the hall sender wires were shorted
against the dist. body. I was able to order the hall sender itself for about
$95 and had it sent UPS next day air. The price at my local VW dealer was
nearly double and on top of that they'd already sent in their weekly order.
this meant I wouldn't get the part for almost 2 weeks. The part I ordered
(genuine Bosch) from Wolfsport arrived in less than 14 hours(pretty good
service!) They also carry new Bosch distributors for about half of the
dealer cost. Their order line is:  1-800-342-8669           Gerry 87 16v