Re: volksgeist pt.3

At 07:37 PM 5/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello everyone!
>You might remember my query about four weeks ago regarding
>my Rocco dying; well, its four weeks later and Im still at
>a loss.
>So, for the list, especially the true gurus, heres the fat:
>1. Scirocco 16v dies while idling.
>2. Spark at wire? no. Spark at coil? no.
>(maybe test was inaccurate)

Then redo the test and find out for sure. Whats the point of guessing
its working and looking elsewhere for a fault? Testing the spark plug
wire AND the coil is a relatively simple test. No special tools are
required for this. Pull a wire, hold it close to the engine block and
have someone cran the motor a few times. You should see a spark.
Do the same with the spark plug wire and remove one plug so you can
hold it to the block and see for sure whether or not your getting a
spark. Thats easy enough to check.
Prove or disprove these items FIRST before looking deeper into the
system.

>5. Spark plug wires have corrosion...
>6. Cap and rotor at dist. badly corroded.
>7. Idea: replace sparkplug wires, coil, ignition module,
>   spark plugs, cap and rotor. They were original, so why not?

Ya, why not. It certainly wont hurt to replace these maintenance items.
Especially if they're as old as you say they are!

>8. Car doesnt start; starter whines away beautifully.
>but am quickly reaching wit's end. Starter solenoid? Starter spline?
>(I doubt it). Timing belt is peachy. PLease help!
>Thanks, Paul
>(now running at 166 MHz!)

Is the motor turning over when you crank it? If it is, then the starter
solenoid is fine, as is the spline.

Shawn