Re: Header ???

On Fri, 16 May 1997 15:39:02 -0400 Vince <defaultuser@domain.com> writes:

>what's supposed to be the best ?
>        4-into-1 header   (ansa)
>or     4-into-2-into-1 "tri-y"  (autotech)
>
>This is for my 1.7 L scirocco 82 !

4 into 1 is more compact, and possibly less prone to cracking because
tubes are shorter.  Tri-Y will give better low end and mid-range power.

I prefer the Tri-Y on both of my A-1's.  Most bolt-on engine mods do not
help and sometimes hurt low end power, and I am more interested in
drivability than peak hp.

Another Tri-Y that you do not mention is the BMS (Bellevue Motor Sports)
header, available for A1cars equipped with or without cat.  It is a nice
design and has a built in  ball joint to prevent the engine movement from
cracking the header.  I have two BMS units and I would recommend them to
anyone.  They run about $160 if I remember correctly.  BMS advertises in
EC.  I really dislike the owner of BMS, but their header is a damn fine
product.