Turbo '81 S

I have went and seen a guy who is selling a turbo kit for an 8V
motor.  He said the turbo is from VW so I think it is the turbo
diesel one.  He has it all ready to bolt on, with an Audi intercooler
and plumbing and everything.  all this for $300 Can.  my question is,
if it is the turbo diesel one then is it really any good for gas
motors?  I have 8.5 : 1 compression in my 1.8L, rebuilt this weekend
with new main and crank bearings, and rings and a new 210 clutch(all
done myself). anyone know what kind of boost it puts out?  I never
thought I could afford a turbo but I like motors that rev and my
transmission would be matched up cause its a close ratio.  I just
don't know since it is a pieced together kit.
Ben