RE: Audi ThrottleBody

>For the guy that asked about honing the manifold, yes, you will.
>Otherwise, how do you expect any more air to flow? I just picked up a 16v
>TB gasket, pulled the manifold (this was in the middle of an engine swap)
>and Dremelled for 45 minutes, until the opening matched the gasket.
>
>Greg.

FWIW, a totally unscientific test shows that more air will flow in a car
w/o a machined intake.  One afternoon recently, Kevin "List Freak and R1
Destroyer" Wenzel and I put an 85 body onto his 81S - I had no time, so we
just bolted it on - I knew it would fit because I had played with my Nspeed
TB and a stock intake in the past - and he said that instead of slowly
decelerating up the big hill between here and Louisville, it now slowly
accelerates in 5th.  We had no idea whether or not any improvement would be
shown, but it did.  If you think about the tb, the height, so to speak, of
the hole of the intake is not the restrictive part - the restrictive part
is at the end.

The restriction comes from the sides, front and back.  Vertically, there is
not a whole lot of material to be removed, you essentially make the intake
hole wider, for the most part.  A little is removed top and bottom, but the
bulk is taken from the ends.  I was certain it would flow *more*, but
enough to notice?  Dunno.  It did, apparently.  That hill is one Kevin and
I drive a lot, and it is a good proving ground.  So, IMHO, if you've got a
TB, but not the time to port the intake, put it on and see if Kevin is
making it up!  TTYS

Mannix