high idle...Please help

Yesterday on my way home, I let the clutch out at an intersection and my car idled at 2000 rpm's. Normally it is at 1000, but now it was at 2000. It started to overheat too. Normally, when idling, the temp won't go past the first dot on the guage, but now it was beyond that and heading for the last dot. It never did that before. Later on, I found that it would only idle at 2000 if I turned on the air conditioner or heater. The blower was at one and I didn't realize it. Once I turned it off, the rpm's dropped back down to one. And now the car will overheat real quick. Anybody know why. Thanks.